New Pattern Release: Full Bloom Bag

Introducing my latest pattern: Full Bloom Bag!

IMG_4216

PatternFull Bloom Bag

DesignerRachel Henry (that’s me!)

Available: $3.99 at Knit Picks / $4.50 on Ravelry

Yarn: Knit Picks Palette in three shades of green, and three shades of pink

IMG_4153

Design/Skills Needed: This cute little bag packs a lot of knitting technique into a single project: stranded colorwork, steeking, and applied i-cord work together to create a colorful bag inspired by old-fashioned wallpaper.

In order to achieve the vertical stripes on the finished bag, the body is worked sideways, in the round, using stranded colorwork to make the stripes and roses. The body is then steeked and the first and last rows are grafted. The bottom is worked in the round from picked-up stitches, and the top edges are finished with applied i-cord, which is then extended into i-cord handles.

Directions for a simple lining are included in the pattern, but (dear reader) you may remember I blogged about how I sewed a lining with built-in pockets. If you make this bag, I urge you to give pockets a try!

IMG_4154

The bottom of the bag has mitered corners in garter stitch — sturdy and perfectly square.

IMG_4156

I had a really hard time letting go of this sample so it could sojourn to Knit Picks for review.  I am anxiously awaiting it’s return, so it can be my cute purse and project bag for some time to come!

IMG_4155

Tips and Tricks: Bag Lining with Built-in Pockets

One of my upcoming patterns is the Full Bloom Bag — a cute little colorwork bag that packs a lot of knitting technique into a single project.  The body of the bag is worked in the round using stranded colorwork to make the stripes and roses. The body is then steeked and the beginning and end are grafted so that the stripes go vertically on the finished bag.  The bottom is worked in the round from picked-up stitches, and the top edges are finished with applied i-cord, which is then extended into i-cord handles.

IMG_4152

I made a lining with pockets, because it seemed like the right thing to do:

IMG_4154

The Method to my Madness:

The bag dimensions are 6″x6″x3″.  I decided to use a half-inch seam in all cases, to make the math easier. I used a single fat quarter for the lining, and less than half a yard of heavy-duty interfacing.  The

For the bottom, I cut a 4″x7″ piece of fabric and a 3″x6″ piece of interfacing.  For the body, I cut a 14″x19″ piece of fabric, a 6″x18″ piece of interfacing (for the body itself), and a 3″x18″ piece of interfacing (for the pocket).

I would have preferred fusible interfacing, but I also wanted the sturdiest interfacing I could get, so I had to settle for non-fusible and sew it in myself.  For the bottom, I just centered the interfacing on the fabric, then stitched all the way around the edge.  For the body, I placed the two pieces as shown below, and stitched them in place.

IMG_4123

I pressed a half-inch hem along the top edge. Next, I folded up the pocket. First I pressed from this side, so that the interfacing was just in the fold:

IMG_4124

Then I flipped it over and pressed it so that the raw edge exactly met the fold:

IMG_4126

Here you can see all three layers:

IMG_4127

I sewed a hem along the top edge to keep it in place. Next, I sewed vertical seams at the corners — measuring from the right, the seams are at 3.5″, 9.5″, and 12.5″:

IMG_4129

IMG_4130

I seamed the body first, then set in the bottom:

IMG_4132

IMG_4133

The finished lining, which I hand-sewed into the bag (whip-stitched just under the i-cord edging):

IMG_4131