I finished the big orange hoodie!!
Project: Very Orange Hoodie
Pattern: Hooded Guernsey, highly modified
Designer: Debbie Bliss
Available: in Family Knits, among other sources
Yarn: CEY Duchess
Astute readers may recognize this hoodie as one of my “Finish It or Frog It” projects from January. See the orange bit in the upper left? Now it’s a sweater, yay!
I bought two bags of unlabelled Duchess from the back wall at Hub Mills — a great yarn shop (yes, I work them and am justifiably biased) that often has great finds along the back wall. Off-label and discontinued CEY yarns can often be had for a song! And let’s be honest kids — I wouldn’t normally make a kid’s hoodie out of a cashmere blend yarn, right?
Let’s get on to the mods …
First of all, the pattern calls for DK yarn and only goes up to size 4. I actually made the size 4 for Eli a few years ago, following the pattern more or less exactly. When he asked for a new sweater, he wanted the same one, only in orange. Since bright orange can be tricky to find, I bought the bulky-weight Duchess anyway, knowing I’d have to alter the pattern.
I did a bunch of math to figure out how big the finished size 10-ish sweater should be, and how many stitches I’d need with the Duchess (I got 7 sts/2 in), and went to work. One major change I made was to work the body and sleeves in the round. I also worked the inside of the kangaroo pocket from picked-up stitches, to avoid sewing later on. I did use 3-needle bind-off for the shoulders, to give it a bit of structure. I worked the hood from a “Judy’s magic cast on” center, again to avoid a seam.
To prove that even seasoned knitters can make dorky mistakes, I carefully sewed in the hood …. facing backwards. Ugh. Picked it out and sewed it in correctly and was finally done! Eli is pleased, but considers it a bit TOO large — I made a classic mom error and knit with next fall in mind. But, at least I have a good chance of having it fit him in the next cold season.