Early this week I finished work on a lace scarf — it’s a sample knit that I need to photograph and send off to Knit Picks for their Independent Designer Program. Assuming all goes well, the pattern for my “Aviator Scarf” will be live later this month. The pattern has two versions: one for lace-weight yarn, and another for fingering-weight yarn. I made the lace-weight sample first, out of Alpaca Cloud in Oyster Heather. It’s lovely, but I got lazy in the blocking and didn’t use enough pins, which created an unintentional “scalloped” edge, as you can see in this photo:
If that’s what I were going for, all would be fine and good. However, I really wanted the scarf to have a smooth, straight edge. I was able to fix the “scallops” with a little judicious steam blocking, but when I finished the fingering-weight sample scarf (Gloss Fingering in Robot — how cool a colorway name is that?), I wanted to block it right the first time. Now, of course this would all be easier if I owned some proper blocking wires, but I don’t. However, I did listen attentively when my friend Heather talked about her plan to block her recently completed pi shawl using the cables from her interchangeable needle set. Brilliant, I thought!
(Let us pause for a moment to admire her gorgeous shawl!)
Without any further information, I decided to give it a go with my scarf. I had two 40-inch cables available, which was enough for one side. My other 40-inch cables were in use (ahem, WIPs, ahem), so I had to make do with four 24-inch cables on the other side. I put my smallest needle tip (US 4) on one of the cable, and threaded it through each purl bump on the garter-stitch edge. After this, I put cable end-caps on for safety, although I don’t think I’ll bother to do that in the future.
Pinning out the cables was a breeze:
Here’s the whole thing, all pinned out:
The results were fantastic — the cables came out smooth and easy. The edge was great — just as smooth and straight as I could wish. I was a little worried about some of the places where two cables met, but it turned out better than I expected. I still need to get pattern-quality photos taken of both versions of the scarf. I’m hoping to steal away my photographer friend at this weekend’s agility trial for a few outdoor photos. Failing that, I can take reasonably good photos on my own. One way or another, the samples and the pattern PDF will be headed for Knit Picks early next week.