Sometimes a knitter needs an instant-gratification kind of project …
Project: Foxglove Cloche
Pattern: Lea Cloche
Designer: Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Available: in Weekend Hats
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh DK in Foxglove
The hat begins from a circular cast-on at the crown. Increases go along the four purl “seams.” I ended up adding one additional round of increases, because my head is big and my gauge was a tiny bit tight. Other than that, I knit as written! I tried to add some length to the brim, but it curled terribly. I had to rip out my modified brim and go back to the as-written one — which, you can see, worked perfectly.
I’m very pleased with my ribbon and button! Both found at Jo-Anns.
I was relatively restrained this week, and only cast on one new project — and a small project at that! I’m making an Everdeen Beanie (from the Weekend Hats book). If you compare my brim and most-of-first-repeat photo (below) to the pattern photos, you will see I’ve made some mods. First and foremost, I opted for a 1×1 twisted rib (instead of 2×2 rib), because twisted rib is tidier (especially for loose knitters like me) and 1×1 rib flows into the body pattern better (IMHO). I had to do the first row of the pattern just a little different, in order to make everything flow just right — I’ll post full details when I finish the hat.
For Christmas, my in-laws gave me a copy of Weekend Hats. Swoon! I cast on and finished this sweet little hat in less than a week — I found the pattern absolutely addictive. My middlest son was kind enough to model for me … but I think this hat will be for ME, thank you very much :).
Project: Sea Drift Toque
Pattern: Drift Toque
Designer: Jocelyn Tunney
Available: in Weekend Hats ($15.30 on Amazon.com)
Yarn: Happy Feet DK in #52
This hat has a really cool construction! It’s worked sideways from a provisional cast on. The cables sidle back and forth using increases and decreases (hidden by the reverse stockinette), and the crown shaping is accomplished with short rows. I’m great at hiding short rows on the stockinette side — looks like I could use some practice hiding them on reverse stockinette too. At the end, the large graft is a bit of a bug-a-boo, but totally do-able. I only had to undo stitches once, and that was only 10 or so.