Some time ago, I donated a custom-knit dog to a raffle to benefit a friend (sad details here). The lucky winner was the family of Zacharia the mini poodle. Everyone say, “Aw, what a cutie!”
This project turned out to be harder than I initially anticipated. It was hard to find the right fiber to make the poodle’s fur look right. I ended up with Bernat Pipsqueak … which was WAY WAY to large a yarn. So, I un-plied it, and knit with individual strands — this took a lot of time, but it gave me the look I was going for. Eventually.
Project: Poodle for Hire
Designer: Joanna Osborne and Sally Muir
As I have come to expect from the KYOD series, this toy poodle was constructed in multiple flat pieces, then sewn together. I used Swish DK for the toes and face, and the Pipsqueak every else. I ended up modding the ears and tail, but other than that this was knit as-written. Doing the PULT stitch is Pipsqueak was especially exciting.
I’m not completely happy with how the legs came together with the body, but I think Knit Zacharia is recognizably a poodle … so I am satisfied.